Friday, October 23, 2009

Misc.

Finally we're all done unpacking!!!!! YAY!!!! I'm so glad to have it done. We sold our home in early June and were able to get into the new one mid-July. We have much more room and are a lot closer to work and family. We are thrilled! Katy loves having room to run and play. There's lots of room for her to play in the yard too. Hopefully we'll have a playset soon. I haven't taken any pictures yet, but they will be coming.

I'm sitting here listening to Katy play with her "pets" and basking in the smell of fresh baked bread! It's smells so good. I don't know if it tastes good or not, but it sure smells good. This was my first solo attempt at baking bread. It was fun to do. Katy had fun helping me and got covered with flour. She loves to help me cook or bake. I enjoy letting her help me but don't always enjoy cleaning up the messes.

Donny found a good deal on a riding lawn mower this week. So we finally have our own lawn mower. We had a push one, but the yard is so big that it literally takes hours and hours to push mow it. Now we can mow our grass without having to borrow Papa's mower - yay. Anyway...I tried to cut the grass for Donny on Wednesday, but I couldn't get the mower to start. And of course, when Donny gets home (after dark) it starts right up. So I tried again yesterday and it started and I got about half the front yard done when I needed to stop to help Katy and when I got back on to try and finish the mower wouldn't start. (was that a run-on sentence?) And, yet again, when Donny got home (after dark) it started right up for him. Determined not to let the dag-on mower win, I went out to try this morning only to find that Donny had the key in his pocket at work. So...I'm hoping that Donny'll get home before dark so that I can get the mowing done and win the fight against that darn mower! :) I will win!

Today is the first day that we've tried big girl undies for Katy - and she LOVES them! The whole potty training thing hasn't gone as quickly as I would have liked, but we're making progress at least. We're only on outfit number 3 for today - we've had two accidents. I think that's pretty good for the first time trying them. It's been hard for me to see all of her friends potty trained already when she's still in pull-ups, and not feel like I'm doing something wrong. I think we're getting close though. I just want to be sure that she's done before she gets into Primary in January. I think we'll make it. Anyone have any good "tricks of the trade" for getting it done?

4 comments:

Afton's mommy said...

Bribery/Rewards...call it what you will, it works! We wrapped up little presents (individual sticks of gum, a bouncy ball...things you can easily find at the dollar store) and every time Afton went to the potty she got to unwrap a present. We had a few larger ones (a book and a puzzle, I think) and when she went a whole day without any accidents, not only did she get her little presents, but she got a big one before bed. She loved it! We got all her prizes at the dollar store, I think I spent $10 total...well worth the money!

izzynjen said...

You said 'DAG'!! I love it!! I'm so glad that you are still alive. Tammy said that she had fun in N.C. but she didn't give me details. So...Hyrum is not potty-trained and he's starting Sunbeams in January as well. Everyone tells me not to push it but to let him go at his own pace. I keep wondering, "Does this mean when he's 10 and he still doesn't want to be potty-trained I shouldn't push him??" Hmmm.....ahh the joys of parenthood.

Joe Average Writer said...

Yeah, you posted! I wish I was out there with Em so I could see your pretty new house, too. About potty training, I wish I knew the magic solution. I think that no matter what you try, the most important thing is to be consistent. It is hard work but soooooo worth it. My turn with Brook is coming soon. Yikes!

Amber Lee said...

Yay! You updated your blog! Jonathan read your post and said to tell you that at this rate by the time you're done mowing your blog you'll have to start over again, haha.
I can't wait to see pics of your house--better yet, I can't wait to SEE your house! Less than 2 months!
I wouldn't stress too much about Katy and potty training--she'll be just fine. But some of the things I've seen used as rewards that seemed to work were pieces of candy in a special bowl in the bathroom (my sister did 1 for #1, 2 for #2), a specially-chosen package of big-girl undies with their favorite characters on them (princesses don't like to get peed on, so they can't be worn until there won't be any accidents!), etc.
And speaking of Katy, I still haven't set her a b-day present--Yes, I know, way late!!! I haven't forgotten, but now that we live in NV I can't just run to the store to get her something, and every time we go to Cedar I forget, because we always have so many groceries and things to get! She will get a present someday! :-)